Sunday, October 17, 2010

Blog 4: Friction

Friction is defined as a force that opposes the motion or attempted motion of an object in contact with another object moving past it.  Static friction is the amount of friction occuring between two objects that are not in motion.  The maximum static friction equals the amount of force required to break the static friction and send the obhject into motion.  The other night, I attempted to find the maximum static friction of my car, a Toyota 4 Runner.  I reversed the car into the driveway amd attempted to push it back into the garage.  To my amazement, I was unable to do so despite my best effort.  Frustrated, I punched the side of the car and left a massive dent in it.  Hopefully, my dad doesn't realize it was me.  I learned from this that the maximum static friction of my car is pretty large, seeing how I couldn't get it moving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment