Sunday, September 5, 2010

Physics in Baseball

This past weekend I was throwing with my dad when I realized, "Hey throwing a baseball is realted to what we have been studying in Physics.  As I began to ponder this thought, I realized tha baseball, in itself, is a game of Physics.  Everything you do, whether it be hitting, fielding, running, or throwing, involves some concpet relating to physics.  When you throw a ball, it is accelerating as it travels from point a to point b; my hand to my partners glove.  An average major league pitcher throws the ball at a velocity of 90 mph.  Some pitchers can throw in the upper 90s to lower 100s!  At this speed, a hitter has less than half a second to react to the pitch once it is released from the pitcher's hand.  Baseball is a fun sport that deeply involves concepts of physics. 

4 comments:

  1. Great job, nice to see another entry on baseball. I like your picture and the info you've given.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that this is another baseball physics blog. Good use of info, nice picture

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how almost every sport is somehow based on simple physics. You included good info

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate how in depth you go in this description of the game you love. I also really like the thought that baseball and al other sports really are just games of physics.

    ReplyDelete